BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
AND PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION OF
ALL BARANGAY IN NABAS AKLAN
BARANGAY ALIMBO BAYBAY
The earliest recorded date of the existence of Nabas was in 1854 when the first Cabeza was appointed. From a little village it became the barangay of Alimbo. Alimbo ceased to be a barangay at the end of 1853 and became an established municipality in 1854 naming it Navas after Governor Nava of Capiz as had been alleged.
Don Remegio Briones as the last Cabeza de Barangay and the first Governadorcillo but known as Capitan when Alimbo became an established municipality called Navas or Nabas afterward. When Nabas was created as a separate distinct municipality in 1854 the sets of government was moved to Poblacion and Alimbo became a sitio.This place was named Alimbo because of the Alimbo River transversing this barangay. The inhabitants living in this place were quite worried because its development is very nil for its only sitio.
When Republic Act No. 3590 was enacted into law otherwise known as the revised Barrio Charter as provided herein that a sitio can separate from a mother barangay if the population is not less than 500 inhabitants and majority of the voters will file a petition to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan thru the Sangguniang Bayan to separate as a distinct barangay stating the territorial boundary from Poblacion. With the endorsement made by the barangay council of Poblacion and with the strong endorsement of the Sangguniang Bayan of Nabas said papers were forwarded to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan for appropriate action.
Provincial Administrative Order No. 5 dated September 6, 1972 (Provincial Board Resolution No. 95 series of 1972 dated July 31, 1972 this barangay was created and named ALIMBO BAYBAY because it is near the beach).
Alimbo Baybay is located on the Northeastern part of Nabas with 0.5 kilometer distance from Poblacion. Bounded on the North by vast Sibuyan Sea; on the East by Barangay Aquino. Municipality of Ibajay; South Barangay Solido and on the West by Barangay Poblacion. It is transverse by a provincial road going to Barangay Aquino passing through Sitio Agbucad, Aquino, Ibajay.
Long time ago this place was a vast forest and it was the aetas (atis) who cleared this place. Juan ( Ligum ) Tenorio one of the offspring of the aetas inhabited this place. He was called “ Ligum “ means black, because he was an aborigen of the aetas. His complexion is black.Later on there were people coming from Antique who were wanted by the Spaniards of not paying their taxes called kintos. They make this as a hiding place for it’s somewhat secluded.
One time there was a mad dog that was being hunted by the inhabitants because of the rabbies that is quite dangerous if a person is bitten. One of them shouted “ Tabang Bang-aw”. A Spaniards incidentally passed by and heard the one shouted tabang instead of tabang bang-aw. So from that time on it was called Tabangao.
The place is so peaceful and a safe place for everyone. Later on the people believed that living in this place should be blessed with good fortune that they will be freed from any ordeal or untoward happenings. From that time on it was called Buenafortuna by the Spaniards because of the good fortune enjoyed by the inhabitants living there in.
Buenafortuna is located on the Southeastern part of the Nabas with two kilometers distance from Poblacion. Bounded on the North by Barangay Buenasuerte; East by Barangay Buenavista; South by Aklan Antique boundary and on the West by Barangay Nagustan.
Buenasuerte is divided into two sitios; Sitio Batuan and Banggoy. According to the old folks the name Batuan came from the tree called Batuan that grow in the eastern part of the barangay. This tree grows along the roadside that gave beauty to the sitio. The old folks called the sitio Batuan.
Banggoy got its name from the small crabs called Mangi-mangi and Banggoy banggoy that is abound near the lake of a fishpond owned by Aristeo Palomata. These small crabs always appeared during low tide and fine weather in the place that they called Sil-ohan in the said fishpond.
During those years, the Teniente del barrio was Juan Lachica. One day a gang was heard by the people, a group of Muslims were not able to land because of a big and long log that prevents the boat to dock. That log was like a human being which inhibits the boats of the Muslims to dock. Instead drove back for fear that they might be killed.
In the year 1902, the Americans landed on the shore of Banggoy because of the news that they received that there were Muslims in the barrio. The Americans asked Juan Lachica, the Teniente del barrio if there were Muslims in the barrio. The Teniente del barrio answered “de buenas cag may suerte ang inyong pagtacas cay owa na ang inyong pangontra”. Meaning the barangay Lieutenant answered well and good luck your coming over the enemy has gone. Ah, Buenasuerte said the Americans. That is how Buenasuerte got its official name.
Buenasuerte is located on the western part of Nabas with one and one half kilometer distance from Barangay Poblacion. Bounded on the North by vast Sibuyan Sea; on the East by Barangay Poblacion; on the South by Barangay Buenafortuna and on the West by Barangay Nagustan. It is transverse by a National road going to Municipality of Malay.
Barosbus was already a thriving barrio when Nabas was created as a Municipality. Vicente Magallanes who was then under the administration of Dalmacio Barraca, officially changed the name to Buenavista.
The atis (aetas) were the first settlers of this barrio. They cleared the dense forest of this once uninhabited area. Later on they migrated. These tribes were looking for a virgin forest after exhausting the natural fertility of the area; hence, they are in perpetual people who migrated from one place to another. Soon the pioneering people from the nearby province of Antique took over the barrio. The accent of Antique’s dialect is still traceable in their conversation.
Though Buenavista is the official name, barosbus is more popular among the residents of the adjoining communities. Barosbus means, sandy soil and Buenavista is coined from the Spanish language which translated in English as “good view”. World War II leaves no tragic experiences that will remind them of the catastrophe that had altered the lives of their race forty six years ago.
However, elders have some grim stories about the 1910-1912 cholera and small pox epidemics. Those services bear the scar of those forsaken years. Buenavista is located on the Southern part of Nabas with 0.250 kilometer distance from Barangay Poblacion bounded on the North,on the East Alimbo River;on the South by Barangay Matabana and on the West by Barangay Buenafortuna. It is tranverse by a provincial road going to Barangay Buenafortuna.
Barangay Gibon was already an existing barangays before 1854 when Nabas became a separate and distinct municipality formerly part of the Municipality of Ibajay. There were six original barangays when Nabas became a municipality and one of them is Gibon.
Long time ago there lived a giant with a wand and a pet dog named Maglibuton. This giant was fond of going around at night together with his pet dog especially during full moon. People notice this whenever they heard the sound of the chain of his pet dog.
One time, a Muslim pirate came over to invade the place. Upon landing on the shore, the Muslim saw a giant and a child walking on the pointed edge of the fence. The Muslim was afraid of what they have seen and hurriedly got off the shore leaving the place undestroyed. It was this giant and a child that according to the ancestors was their Patron Saint Vincent Ferrer who defended the place. Then the place was named Gibon that derived from the giant named Maglibuton Maghibon.
Barangay Gibon is located along the beach. Located on the Western part of Nabas with eight kilometers distance from Barangay Poblacion; it is transverse by a national road going to the Municipality of Malay. Bounded on the North by the vast Sibuyan Sea; on the East by Barangay Toledo; on the South by Barangay Laserna and on the West by Barangay Habana.
In the year 1854 when the Municipality of Nabas was separated from the Municipality of Ibajay as a distinct municipality there were only six existing barangays. After the elapsed of so many years more barangays were created to increase the number of barangays and one of them is Barangay Adbadyang( Habana).
It was called Adbadyang because there was so many plants growing along Habana Creek called Badyang. This kind of plants when cut is very itchy when it will touch to your tender skin. So the inhabitants tried to clear this small plain area and settled there because this barangay was located along the beach for it is rich in marine products.
During the Spanish and American Revolution in the 18th century an American Captain together with his men came over to invade this place under the Spanish rule. They were able to take over this place from Spaniards. People living in this barangays like the Americans for they treated them in right manner. When the American soldiers moved out they unanimously agreed to change the name to Habana in honor of American Captain Havana who really worked out to take over the dictatorial leadership of the Spaniards.
From that time on it was called Habana, but still old people use to call it Adbadyang.This barangay is located on the Western part of Nabas with ten kilometers distance from Barangay Poblacion. Bounded on the North by vast Sibuyan Sea; on the East by Barangay Gibon;on the South by Barangay Laserna and the West by Barangay Tagororoc and Libertad.
In the year 1968 residents of this place kindled by the spirit of association, dynamism and leadership and determined to establish an autonomous government of their own had presented a position to the proper authority concerned by citing Section 3 of RA No. 3590 otherwise known as Revised Barrio Charter.
The late barrio Lieutenant Mr. Blumentritt C. Laserna Sr. a resident of the place with distinction and honor, an ex- Councilor of the Municipality of Nabas, spearheaded the move for the creation of Barangay Laserna now in honor of their beloved father’s name the late Simplicio S. Laserna.
This barangay was created by virtue of Resolution No. 45 series of 1968 of the Municipal Council of Nabas and approved by the Provincial Board of Aklan.
Upon petition of the residents of the different sitios of the said barangay to constitute themselves as a unit of government, separate and distinct from the mother barangay of Gibon which comprises the sitios of Ginab-an, Potol, Malindog, Nabasnon, Botong, Napatag, Manyuko and Lahin and places bordering Barangay Tagororoc on the Western mountain area, places bordering Barangay Toledo on Eastern mountain area and up to the boundary with the Municipality of Libertad. Antique on the South. Those aforementioned sitios and its borders constitute the juridical and territorial personality of the barangay.
This barangay is a valley with mountainous area in the East, South and West and it is tranverse by swift flowing stream of Cumalascas. It is also popular for its beautiful spring of Basang with cold water flowing downstream at Gibon River. It is a vast area bounded on the North by Barangay Gibon; on the East by Barangay Toledo; on the South boundary of Aklan and Libertad (Antique); on the West by BarangayTagororoc. Located on the Southwestern part of Barangay Poblacion with a distance of seven kilometers from Barangay Poblacion.
With the twenty barangays of Nabas, Tolingon (Libertad) is one of its thriving barangay. This barangay is located along the beach with the well known Tolingon Cave where some of the excursionist used to enjoy.This barangay is formerly a part of Unidos in the year 1854 when the municipality of Nabas was separated as a distinct municipality from the Municipality of Ibajay.
Its historic origin date back in that year when one day a group of traders came to this place and saw a farmer harvesting string beans (cabod). The stranger asked the farmer whats the name of this place, but because of language difficulty the answered came as “ Toling eon “ , meaning the string beans were all matured and ready for harvest. The stranger then thought that the answer is “ Tolingon” and this barangay was popularly known as Tolingon.
During the Spanish time the name was changed to Libertad as its official name, because people used to hide in Tolingon cave from the marauding pirates and other outlaws. They say that you have liberty or freedom from getting killed if you can hide in this cave. From this quoted word liberty means Libertad in Spanish language.
From the time on it was called Libertad but still old people used to call it Tolingon. This barangay is located along the beach with mountain ranges on the Eastern and Southern part. It is transverse by a national road going to the Municipality of Malay, with the distance of 14 kilometers from Barangay Poblacion. Bounded on the North by vast Sibuyan Sea; on the East by Barangay Habana;on the South by Barangay Tagororoc and on the west by Barangay Unidos.
This barangay was created in the year 1904 and the official name is Barangay Magallanes. It was named after Vicente Magallanes who was a Municipal Councilor who devoted his time in those days gathering the different families from different part of this barangays to live together. At that time the houses of the native were then grouped around a little plaza to commemorate his long years in the government services and give pride to his endeavor by organizing and grouping these people to live together and became a barangay named Magallanes.
Formerly it was popularly known as Malopalo after the Malopalo creek transversing this barangay and its source is called Tuboran. Water could be found and feel everywhere along this creek. This doesn’t dry up during long dry season because of the vast forest upstream. The existence of water from this place gives the name Tuboran that means “spring”. The original families who settled this place was Manuel Dioso, a native of Alipata, Culasi. Antique who came to look and search Calixto Baluno, Roman Tiopes and Alejandro Salmorin in this place. This Barangay includes “”Bulod” which mean mountain. “Tarog” which means water channel. This water channel is a split of bamboos devised by the native to increase the volume of flow water coming from the source to facilitate the filling of their bamboo container “Tuhaw” means water appeared in any part of the this place which is true until now “Katumbal” is where elder Julian lived. This place was planted to “Katumbal” (pepper) where the fruits are being mixed with vinegar. “Sinulbuan” this was inhabited by Remegio Montalban alias Miyo Bayoong.
If you are not careful on your steps you will surely fall down and broke a part of your legs because its too rocky and very slip. “Ginligidan” suggest its name as the very place were two stone rolled from the mountaintop and struck Martin and Mariano. “Ulay” was named after a beautiful virgin woman who quenched her thirst at well by thrusting old Vicente Talde’s spear on the ground uttering some strange words. Lastly “Tuburan” was the resort of Capitan Tagle and his men to avoid being seen by the American soldiers who passed on another way during their search. This barangay is a valley with mountain ranges from the eastern southern and western part. : Located on the southern part of Nabas with 2.0750 kilometers distance from Poblacion. Bounded on the north by barangay Buenavista: east by barangay Solido: south by a vast forest a boundary between Nabas, Aklan and Pandan. Antique and on the west by barangay Matabana.
Matabana was once called “Minuro” or a village with a few houses. It was then a part of barangay Buenavista. It became a barangay in 1901 when Don Victoriano Amacio was the capitan of the Municipality of Nabas. He appointed Simon Pigos as the first cabeza of the barangay. In the feast celebration that followed a group of town officials attended everybody were contented “. The water here is cool and potable as if I was drinking the water that came from Matabana: the name “Matabana” is an earthen jug for keeping or storing water. Then the visitors discussed the important of keeping “Matabana” in the house.
Whenever this visitors set again in a party anywhere they are always reminded of the “Matabana” water. In short a time the name “Minuro” and Matabana became synonymous the name of a place. Since Minuro is a genetic term the municipal officials adopted the name Matabana. The first family to settle in Matabana was the family is Simeon Pigos who came from Antique sometimes in 1875. The place then was widely inhabited by Aetas. Simeon was big and tall. He was a brave man. His knowledge in arbulario made him popular in the town of Nabas. He has a thundering voice that made the aetas afraid of him. So the aetas moved to the interior part of the barangay where they could not hear the voice of Simeon Pigos. The next families to settle the place through intermarriage were the families of Sadiasa, Pancho Amacio, and Quisoy for cabeza Simeon has several sons and daughters. However, Victoriano Amacio prepared to stay in Poblacion. These families were the one who developed Matabana.
This barangay is plateau where most of the houses are located. It is transverse by a barangay road from Solido national highway to barangay Laserna passing barangay Buenafortuna. Nagustan and Toledo. Located on the southern part of Nabas with a distance of 3.2 kilometers from barangay Poblacion. Bounded on the north by barangay Buenavista: on the east by barangay Magallanes: on the south by the mountain ranges. Boundary of Nabas – Pandan, Antique: and on the west by barangay Buenafortuna.
During the advent of the Spaniards to the Philippines Nagustan was still a wilderness. Only two families an aborigine came over to settle this place.In the year 1854 when Nabas was separated as a distinct Municipality of Ibajay. Nagustan was one of the six existing barangays namely: Kabangrusan (Union), Namaw (Rizal) Pakilawa (Unidos), Gibon Panaytayon ( Toledo) and Nagustan.
In the same year Remegio Briones was once appointed as Governadorcillo of the municipality of Nabas. During his incumbency he organized different sitios and one of them was sitio Cubay in the year 1913 Guillermo Sajise was appointed capitan of the said barangay. As incumbent barangay capitan he found out that the houses in sitio Cubay were scattered and far apart. So he ordered the people living in the mountain to come down to settle in this place. He made it a point to cluster the houses in such way that it will not be hard for him to contact them from time to time. Some of the people were hesitant to follow. But that was his order so the people were made to obey.
They found out later that the place is better place to lived in which there common dialect Nagustohan. Since Nagustohan was always in his mind. It so happened that the Spaniards came over and asked what place is this. The capitan answered Nagustohan. The Spaniards repeated again and again the word Nagustohan and later it was pronounced as Nagustan to shorten the word Nagustohan. From that time on until now it was known as Nagustan as its official name.
Nagustan is located along the beach and transverse by a national road in going to the municipality of Malay. Located at the western part of Nabas with a distance of 3.5 kilometers from barangay Poblacion Bounded on the north by vast Sibuyan Sea: on the east by barangay Buenasuerte: on the south by Aklan-Antique boundary and on the west by barangay Toledo.
The history of Pawa dates back in the year 1901 when three brothers from Antique who were wanted by the Spaniards because they refused to pay their taxes “ Kintos”. These three brothers Salbino alias Binong, the eldest Emmanuel alias Awl second and the youngest Alejandro alias Eling all bachelors from a family of Baliguat tried their luck to move to the Northern part of Panay. They passed on a thickened and virgin forest of Antique going Northwest not be seen by Spaniards. While they were hiking on this forest they have in mind to go north to find a good place for settlement. For a number of days hiking they were able to pass in a place with a very thick wild plants with somewhat a family of bamboos but it’s quite, long and look like a vine. These three brothers have to find a good way wherein they could pass by to find a better place to settle. They selected this area for it is safe to any enemies that might run after them.
After they have cleared the area some inhabitants were convinced because of the rich soil that it is fitted for any kind of plants for their own living. Some of the Baliguat relative comes over to settle in this place. In the year 1901 this was made into a barangay. The first Teniente del barrio was Salbino Baliguat the founder of this place and officially called Pawa because of the medicinal thick wild plants look like a vine called Pawa. These people went down as far as Unidos and Rizal looking for sea foods where some of the families in Rizal were convinced to settle this place and because of its soil and good climate.
The location of this barangay is at least 500 feet above sea level were people defend their living on farming and mat weaving. The climate is really fitted to any kinds of plants where they used to haul to neighboring barangays of Libertad and Unidos carrying through their shoulder for it is not yet connected with good roads due to the high terrain.
Pawa is located at the Southwestern part of Nabas with a distance of 19 kilometers from Poblacion. From Barangay Unidos national highway a distance of 5 kilometers by foot passing a high terrain. Bounded on the North by Barangay Unidos; on the East by Barangay Tagororoc; on the South by vast forest of Aklan- Antique boundary and on the West by Barangay Rizal.
Before the Spaniards came to rule this archipelago a pirate named Antok who was hiding in the mountain was killed by the inhabitants because of stealing the belonging of inhabitants. Ompong, the other leader became apprehensive and succeeded Antok. He ordered the pirates his followers to come down to the barangay to find out who killed Antok. But his followers did not heed or adhered to his order instead killing those inhabitants indiscriminately in different position because of anger.
When the Spaniards came over to rule this archipelago the inhabitants complained that the pirates who were so brutal in killing the inhabitants indiscriminately, others killed body bending down. So the guardia civil asked them if what is the name of this barangay and they answered “Pinatuad” which name derived from those people killed Patuad. This barangay is a valley with mountain ranges on all direction and is transverse by a national highway going to Pandan Antique. It has a small Riceland located at the National Highway. The people defend their livelihood from farming, gathering firewood and weaving mats.
Pinatuad is located in the Southern part of Nabas extending up to the territorial boundary of Nabas, Aklan and Pandan Antique the last barangay going South with a distance of 4 kilometers from Poblacion.
Barangay Pinatuad is one of the twenty barangay of Nabas Aklan. It is bounded on the North by Barangay Solido; on the East by Barangay Aquino; and Antipolo all of Municipality of Ibajay, Aklan; on the South by Aklan- Antique boundary and on the West by Barangay Magallanes mountain ranges.
Poblacion is a place where the set of the Municipal Government of Nabas is located. Nabas was once a part of a vast territory of Ibajay. It was then a barrio called Alimbo, name after the river delta which it occupies. The territory of Ibajay was so big but without good roads. The people use to distinct dialects. In the Western side which now constitutes the municipality of Nabas. The people have similar dialects to that spoken in Antique province. In the Eastern side which now constitutes the Municipality of Ibajay, the people spoke the dialect now generally spoken by most towns of Aklan. The existence of two dialects and the vast territory influenced the Western portion to separate from the mother town.
The Municipality of Nabas was created in 1854 where Poblacion was the set of Municipal Government when Governor Nava came to inspect the place. It was named after him. In 1906, howeverThe municipal council in its resolution changed the name to Nabas as the official name of the town. The place is famous for its fine mats and hats, made from baliw leaves. It is kind of palm tree whose leaves turn into strong, smooth and glossy brown when dried and white when bleached. These products are patronized throughout the Philippines and exported abroad.
Poblacion is located along the beach and its transverse by a national road to the Municipality of Ibajay, where tourists both local and foreigners passed this place in going to Boracay Island. Bounded on the Northby vast Sibuyan Sea; on the East by Barangay Alimbo Baybay; on the Southby Barangay Buenavista and on the West by Barangay Buenasuerte.
In the year 1854 when the Municipality of Nabas was separated from the Municipality of Ibajay as distinct municipality there were only six existing barangay and Namao (Rizal) was one. Long time ago and even until this place was popularly known as Namao, the name was misquoted for the word “Limaomao”. There was variety of vine that grew abundantly along the bank of the creek known as Namao Creek. The early inhabitants of the place where nomadic aborigines, the aeta ( ati ). Later on there were more civilized people coming from other places to find a better place to live in.
These aborigines continued clearing the mountain called kaingin up to sitios of Molada, Barong- barong, Maramig and Panactacan. The earliest known residents were people who came from other places in Antique and Capiz. They were people who were wanted by the Spanish authorities by not paying their taxes imposed by the Spaniards called “Kintos”during that time. The name Namao was changed to Rizal in honor of the national hero Dr. Jose Rizal about the year 1915 to 1920. The reason for the change of name was because the word Namao is very akin to Mamao, another word for aswang or witches. From the time on, and until now this place was popularly known as Namao. But its official name is Rizal.
Rizal is located on the Western part of Nabas with 17 kilometers distance from Barangay Poblacion. It is very transverse by the national road going to the Municipality of Malay and it is near the beach with abundant of sea foods. Bounded on the North by vast Sibuyan Sea; on the East by Barangay Unidos; on the South boundary of Nabas-Malay and on the West by Barangay Union.
In the middle of the 15th century, a man from Antique by the name of Bienvenido Blare, came to this barangay to seek adventures. After some days of plundering in the wild area, he found out that nobody had inhabited the place. Blare cleared the whole place and do some improvements till it became an ideal to live in. with all the improvements made he decided to fetch his family in Bugasong, Antique and many Antiquenos were encouraged to move to seek for a better living. These different families later on group themselves together farming which is now known as Solido.
Solido is popularly known to many as Ilijan. The ancient Ilijan (meaning to avoid confrontation) was derived from a stone trench forming like a mountain covered with bamboo thickets at the southeastern portion of the barangay which serve as cover and protection of the barangay people from the marauding pirates and other outlaws several centuries before.
The founder being an Antiqueno influenced much the language of the people in this barangay and until now Solidonhons speak with great semblance with that of the Antique dialect, Kinaray-a.
In 1922, Gervacio S. Magallanes a former Municipal Councilor of the Municipality of Nabas and who was married to a native of the place sponsored a resolution in the Municipal Council changing the name of Ilijan to Solido , a term which cannotes firmly united and having solid ideas like that of a block. In 1930, a native of this place and the brother in-law of Gervacio Magallanes, Pacifico R. Palanog, carved out a name for Solido when he entered the political arena and became for many years term as Mayor, Vice Mayor and in other leadership capacities in the Municipality of Nabas until his death in the late seventies.
Solido is located on the Southeastern part of Nabas with 1.5 kilometer distance from Poblacion. It is transverse by a national road passing Barangay Pinatuad Nabas, in going to the Municipality of Pandan Antique.
A long time ago Barangay Tagororoc is a mere sitio of Unidos which this place is bounded by vast forest and mountain rangest from the East and West. On the center is a river called Pakilawa River which its source, came from Binarusa and later on it was named Unidos River. The other sitio of Unidos is Banlok because one of the sources of Unidos River came from Banlok. The families inhabited Banlok were Gregorio Palomata, Vicente Mariano, Magbanua, Garcia and Saligumba. These families were living happily and peacefully. Because of the vast track of forest it was made as a hiding place of marauders (buyong).
Their chieftain name is Iboy which make a bad name to the inhabitants. The families complained to the town authority, the Spaniards. The Spaniards sent their soldiers to capture the marauders but they were not able to capture them. Due to the bad intention of these marauders. The marauders fought violently but lose and they were captured including their chieftain by the inhabitants living therein. There after Sitio Banlok is a peaceful place and called the place “ Gin Tago-an it Mga Buyong” meaning hiding place of marauders and was later called Tagororoc.
Through the petition made by not less than 500 inhabitants to be an independent and distinct barangay from the other barangay of Unidos. The Barangay Council of Unidos endorsed for its approval through resolution stating the boundaries. The Sangguniang Bayan endorsed it to the Sangguniang Panlalawigan and was approved by the Provincial Board through Resolution No. 42 series of 1971 dated July 19, 1971. Barangay Tagororoc is a valley transversing by mountain ranges from the Northeastern, Southern and Southwestern of the Barangay Unidos; on the East by Barangay Libertad; on the South by the territorial boundary of Nabas, Aklan- Libertad, Antique and on the West by Barangay Pawa.
Originally this barangay is popularly known as Panaytayon named after Panaytayon Creek. A creek crossing the provincial road now national highway to Malay and Buruanga, Aklan. Buses flying from Poblacion, Nabas to Toledo is being station at this creek. Incidentally a lumbay tree nearby where passengers used to wait for loading and unloading cargoes going to and from Malay, Buruanga, Aklan. At that time Panay Autobus Company flying this route has coin Barangay Lumbay and even after the World War II.
Toledo got its official name by Royal Decree. It could not only ascertain as to what year and Decree number this barangay named Toledo in the same manner that all other barangay, towns and even provinces got its name according to an information the decree require a mass naming of barangays in the Archipelago Philippines. This barangay is the 4th largest barangay in the Municipality of Nabas. Precisly populated compared to other barangays. It consists of five sitios namely; Saringge, Takas, Baybay, Binocaran and Ilawod now crossing Barangay Laserna. Literally lies in the geographic hear to the community. It is surrounded by three big barangays, Nagustan in the East; Laserna on Southwest; and Gibon on Northwest.
The terrain is largely flat and rolling hills, becoming rugged towards the south, now utilized as the reforestration project and a nursery been established by the government. Toledo is essential to Tolendonhon, the term Toledonhon is descriptive of the people belonging to the barangay. It takes roots from words saya saya that means “happy”, “good”, “pleasant” and “worthy”. The same folk’s vitality colors of the barangay leisure. Each day is capped by the ritualistic round of tuba. Whether celebrated in the homes or tiendas.
These tuba sessions are never without the spice of friendly repartee or the lilt of drinking songs. Any social gatherings could end with the guitar singing or even singing contest between men and women. The summer month especially first week of March particularly festive. Devotion the Patron Saint JESUS OF NAZARETH solemnized in Toledo Church is eventually brought to the street in candle lit procession and floral offerings. The barangay take turns in holding barangay fiesta.
Unidos is one of the 20 barangays in the Municipality of Nabas. The name Unidos was not known before and to when it was taken. “ Pakilawa” according to some tales of the old folks living in the barrio that long time ago there live a man named Don Francisco Urcela, was considered as the bravest man in his generation whose house is located near the seashore. Hence his left leg was affected during his famous fight with his name during the Spanish Regime, a Spanish officer meet him while walking in the seashore and asked “where are you going?”.
He answered “ Paki sa Wala”, but he pronounce Pakilawa as the name of the place and later on because the resident of the barrio were friendly, religious and peace, loving and with unity Pakilawa was change to Unidos. Most of the people have traces of Spanish features, this barrio having been inhabited by Spaniards during the early years. The major source of income is: mat making, fishing, farming, copra making, hogs and poultry production are also raised here generally for home and local consumption.
Unidos has an area of 65 hectares and rich in natural resources. It has an abundant supply of sea products. People from neighboring barangay of Unidos go to the Poblacion by feet. There is a constructed road in this area but the means of transportation is too scarce. No vehicle could reach the barangay Unidos from Poblacion. During fine weather people travel by means of pump boat ferrying the shoreline of Nabas from the different barrios along the coast to Poblacion.
Bounded on the North is vast Sibuyan Sea; South Barangay Pawa; West Barangay Rizal and on the East Barangay Libertad.
With the twenty barangays of Nabas. Cabangrusan (Union) is one of the thriving barangay. This barangay is located along the beach with the three islets namely Laurel Island: Puro ni Baldo and one unknown islet. During Pre-Spanish time this barangay is known as Cabangrusan due to plenty of fingerlings gathered as people’s livelihood and this fingerlings were sold to nearby provinces such as Capiz and Iloilo.
Until now one of the major livelihoods of Cabangrusan (Union) is the catching of fingerlings. After World War II, Cabangrusan is rename as Barangay Union through the effort of the late Teniente del Barrio Primo Sasis, because of people’s unity. Now the Barangay Union is composed of four sitios: Barangay Proper, Canyugan, Laguna and Mampusa.
It is transverse by a National road going to the Municipality of Malay with a distance of 21 kilometers from Barangay Poblacion Nabas and 0.5 kilometer going to Barangay Caticlan the Gateway to the famous Boracay.Bounded on the North Sibuyan Sea; West Barangay Caticlan ( Malay and Island of Boracay; East Barangay Rizal; South Barangay Caticlan ( Malay) where Domestic Airport is located.